What You Need to Know to Apply
Georgetown sponsors the following residency programs in internal medicine:
- Categorical Medicine Residency (3 years)
- Preliminary Medicine Internship (1 year)
- Medicine-Pediatrics Residency (4 years)
Note: All qualified applicants are considered for interviews; however, the volume of applicantions precludes us from offering interviews to all qualified applicants.
Applications for the Medicine Residency Programs must be completed and submitted by December 1.
Candidates for the Internal Medicine and Preliminary Medicine Programs must apply through the Electronic Residency Application Service (ERAS). The following documents are required in order to have your application reviewed:
- ERAS common application form
- USMLE Step I transcript (and Step II CK and CS when available) (required)
- Osteopathic applicants: your COMLEX scores will be accepted and reviewed, but USMLE CK scores are still required. Either USMLE Step II CS or COMLEX Clinical Skills exam are acceptable.
- Medical school transcript
- Personal statement
- Dean's Letter
- 3 letters of recommendation, including one departmental support letter ("Chair's letter" for categorical applicants)
- A fourth letter of recommendation will be accepted
- We encourage preliminary applicants to have at least one letter of recommendation from internal medicine
VISA POLICY: J1 visas are sponsored through Georgetown University Hospital. We currently do not have the ability to sponsor H1B visas.
MedStar Georgetown University Hospital is an equal opportunity employer.